Sunday, June 27, 2010

About Lady in Blue Shop

www.ladyinblueshop.etsy.com

About Me
My name is Rhonda and I am a traditional Catholic mom of two girls and two boys (ages 5 months, 2, 3 and 6), wife and artist. I have a BFA in Fine Art with an emphasis in Graphic Design. I have worked professionally as both a Designer and an artist before getting married and have children. I love all things crafts and art, love to cook (especially love baking bread), sew and garden.

What Inspired Me to Start My Shop
When I started wearing chapel veils to Mass I was disappointed by the lack of selection available. Once I started sewing them for myself I decided I could help other women by making and selling affordable veils. Etsy seemed the perfect place to open a shop; the customers are so friendly and I love meeting women from all over the world who are also interested in veiling. Since I first opened, I've added other things to my shop as well... Catholic Art, Sacrifice Beads, Rosary Purses, Custom Made Nun Dolls as well as other items. During Advent my oldest daughter (6) and I make paper ornaments from old Christmas cards and sell them to raise money for charity. We call this our "Corporal Works of Mercy Project."

About My Art
As I mentioned before I am a fine artist by training. I love to paint flowers and other natural scenes in oil, acrylic, gouache or watercolor. I have a few of these paintings in my shop, but mostly right now I create and sell chapel veils. I love finding unique colors and textures of lace and then finding that perfect trim to finish it off. Then there are all the shapes to choose from.

Usually when I find a lace that I like I buy several yards and spread it out on the work table (my dining room table -- more about this later) and let the pattern and texture dictate what shapes of veils will come from it. Its lots of fun making each one slightly different and unique and something that someone somewhere will love to wear.

Where I Create
In a perfect world, Id have a real studio, and maybe someday when the kids are grown that will happen. Right now I create in different spots all over the house; the dining room has become my sewing room; when I paint, I use our sunroom; when I photograph my veils its most often in the living room on the end table. We do have a nice office in our home, which is where I do all the tedious computer work and where my drafting table resides (usually piled high with sketch books, to-do lists, bits of fabric, etc.). This is also where my husband and I run our other home-based business, Philothea Press, a small publishing company.

Where I Sell My Work
Currently all of my veils are available at www.LadyinBlueShop.etsy.com but some of my other items (like my vegetarian slow cooker cookbook) are available through Philothea Press www.philotheapress.com

Favorite Devotion
My favorite devotion, by far, is the Holy Rosary. We say this together as a family every night and have been so blessed by it.

Some Examples of My Work:





Thanks for taking the time to read about me and I hope you'll stop by the shop and see my work!

4 comments:

  1. Rhonda,

    Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing with us! God's blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! We attend the TLM also and my daughters and I wear the chapel veils also. :D We attend the Novus Ordo at times too, and we don't wear the veils there. I've been thinking that maybe we should start, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucy -- Yes, I think you should wear the veil to the Novous Ordo too! :) Im currently in the midst of writing a book about the chapel veil and the truth is, the Catholic church has never abrogated the use of the veil! We should all be wearing it! Why most women don't is a long story (wait for the book!) but it really does honor Mary and Jesus when we wear it... May God give you the strength and courage to step outside the norm when you attend the Novous Ordo and may Mary and Jesus shower you with graces!

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait for your book to come out!

    ReplyDelete