Sunday, June 20, 2010

Introduction of a Member of the Catholic Etsy Artists Guild


Hello fellow team members and visitors. I am a proud member of the Catholic Etsy Artists. My name is Linda and I am the artist and owner of Cedar Creek Treasures.
I joined the group in April of 2010.

About myself...

I am 47 years old, married almost 27 years. I have 2 children. A Daughter, 26 and a Son, 18. We also have a little dog who is like part of the family.

I have credits in Marketing and small business. I worked for most of my life as a papermaking technician. In 2002, I quit my job and started my small craft business out of my home. I have been selling my work at Wisconsin Arts and Crafts shows for the past 8 years. I have also done many custom pieces for clients.

About my shop...

When I opened my shop, I chose the name Cedar Creek Treasures. The name was chosen based on where I live. Behind our house is a cedar woods in which runs a creek. I love to create many different things which I call treasures. So, was born the name of my business!

I set up my etsy shop and opened it with my first item listed in March of 2010. I wanted to bring my creations into the world of the internet. Many customers had suggested and asked if I sold my work online. So, I took the plunge! Was a bit scary, but exciting too!

About my faith...

I was born and baptized Catholic. Unfortunately, my Mother died at a young age. I was about 1 year old. After my Mom's death, my Dad fell away from attending Mass.

I always believed in God and prayed every day per the guidance of an Aunt. I was never taught the importance of the Mass. I attended Catholic school through 3rd grade and made my first holy communion. From 4th grade on I went to a public school. I did not attend Catechism classes. My Father obviously did not understand the importance of our faith. Losing my Mother at a very young age. He did the best he was able to do.

I lived a very worldly life throughout my adolescence and adult years. My focus was mostly on my financial, material and physical well being. God was a smouldering flame in my heart. (That is buried in my heart. good thing he is a patient and merciful God) The good news is, he never gives up on us!

On Sept 11, 2001 I had a reawakening to how I was living my life. I saw the events unfold live on television. I realized that the people going to work in the trade center that morning had no idea this would be their last day. I wondered what their relationship was with God. This led to me thinking of my relationship with God. I knew I was far away. I call this the day I was hit with a spiritual 2x4! I began attending Mass again and even started going to daily mass when I could. So began my relationship with God.

This reawakening led to learning more about the faith through books and listening to CD's teaching the faith. The apparitions of Our Blessed Mother in Medjugorje also had a profound effect on my growing deeper in the Catholic faith I was baptized in. Medjugorje played a major role in my growth and relationship with the Lord. I went on a pilgrimage there in 2006. I now have a very powerful and close relationship with Our Lord, Blessed Mother, The Saints and the Angels. I pray always for the Grace to grow even deeper in relationship with the Lord and the church.

About my art...


I Love to find old things and reinvent them into something new. This is a great way to recycle!

I use old door panels and cabinet doors. I crackle, distress and antique them to add to the aged appearance. Beautiful reproduction prints are then decoupaged onto the panels to create vintage look wall art.

I also make petite wall signs with inspirations, using found wood whenever possible. The inspirations are heart-warming, and sometimes humorous. They come from scripture, the saints, something that touches me and sometimes are my own inspirations of the heart. My favorite quotes come from Mother Teresa. I call her my business partner.

Prayer panels are becoming a large part of my collection. These are also made form recycled wood whenever possible.

I also do some floral and wreaths with a victorian flair which will sometimes be included in my etsy shop.

My online shop only have a sampling of the vast array of things I create. Here are some photos of some of my work.











My faith is the center of my work. I do all my creating for the glory of God! God has given me the talent to create and touch people through this gift. I am his instrument. The work of my hands becomes a prayer given to him. Saint Terese gave God all of her works. This is what I do too. I like to follow her little ways! 5% of the profits from my sales go to various charities. Some that I have donated to are, Habitat for Humanity, A & A Alexandrina (local prolife pregnancy center), Mercy Home for Boys and Girls and Our Lady of good help.

I continue to sell my work at Wisconsin Arts and Crafts shows. I am currently finishing up booking my 2010 shows. You can see the list of shows by visiting me at Cedar Creek Treasures on facebook. I also occasionally set up my studio in home for an open house show. Online venues include:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/cedarcreektreasures
http://www.zibbet.com/cedarcreektreasures
Cedar Creek Treasures on facebook

About my devotion...

I have a great devotion to the Holy Face from "The Shroud of Turin". What I find so awesome about it is this is truly the face of Christ!! The Shroud has been scientifically studied and is not explainable. I believe it is the masterpiece of God!!

I also have great devotion to Our Lady under the title "Our Lady of Guadalupe". Again, scientists studied the tilma and cannot explain why it has not deteriorated or how the image got there! I believe that is, because it too, is the masterpiece of God!

I hope this helps you all to get to know me better, I look forward to meeting all of you!

God's Blessings to you!
Linda

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Linda for sharing your story. It is wonderful to have this forum so that we all can get to know each other and support, share and grow in our beautiful Catholic faith. I checked out your etsy shop and you have some neat and beautiful items - I am always amazed as to how our Lords leads to share our faith with others, I mean, the different ways He inspires us. Thank you and God Bless you!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your work! The "crackle" finish is a favorite of mine. :D

    I'm so glad the Lord was able to reel you in with a "twitch upon the thread" as Chesterton wrote. You were His all along!

    ReplyDelete